Subject: Battle scene, the Dominican priest prays next to the wounded, after the attack
Of the Cathar Citadel, but a second attack arrives far in the valley ...
Oil painting on wood panel (walnut), painting in very good condition.
Sizes: with frame 76 x 61 cm - without frame 57 x 42 cm
Frame: new, in perfect condition, in "American case", in lacquered black wood, Dutch style
The architecture of the square tower fortress, situated on a steep mountain covered with forest is reminiscent of the models of the Cathar castles in the southwestern region of France. (Montsegur or Queribus). The presence of the Dominican corroborates this hypothesis of ancient Cathar castle.
We find much similarity to the Château de Quéribus, both architecturally, geographically and historically. Striking are the analogies with the keep of the castle and its windows with mullions as well as its way of round which wraps itself on the building. The top of the keep holds a terrace accessible by a spiral staircase located in a rectangular tower attached to the dungeon. From this place opens a panorama on the Pyrenees, the Mediterranean Sea and the vineyards of Corbières.
The castle of Quéribus (in Occitan: castle of Querbús) is a castle called "cathare" located in the commune of Cucugnan in the department of Aude. This fortress, perched on a rocky peak at 728 meters above sea level, dominates the village of Cucugnan and is located on the border of the department of Aude and the Pyrenees-Orientales. The castle of Quéribus, whose existence probably dates back to the 10th century, was one of the points of defense of the Cathar country.
After its capture, it is integrated with the device of defense of the border of France with Aragon. The annexation of Roussillon by France (Treaty of the Pyrenees, 1659), which recedes the frontier as far as the Pyrenees, greatly diminishes its strategic importance. The castle degrades until 1951, date from which it is gradually restored. Guardian of the Grau de Maury, Quéribus is perched on a narrow rocky peak at 728 meters above sea level. It monitors the Corbières massif, the Fenouillèdes and the plain of Roussillon.
In 1258, the treaty of Corbeil fixed the border between France and Aragon to the south of the Corbières very close to the castle. It then becomes a strong mistress who belongs to the French defensive system whose command is Carcassonne. He is one of the "five sons of Carcassonne": Quéribus, Aguilar, Peyrepertuse, Puilaurens and Termes.
The castle is entrusted to a chatelain appointed by the seneschal of Carcassonne. The first was Nicholas of Navarre, named in 1259. Then during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, the kings of France rebuilt and strengthened the defensive structure of the castle.
In 1473, the fortress was besieged and taken by the troops of the king of Aragon.
Finally, in 1659, the castle lost its strategic interest at the time of the signing of the treaty of the Pyrenees which definitively fixes the Franco-Spanish border. However, a garrison is maintained there for several decades.
Siege of the Cathar fortress - Ecole Française 19 & egr
Dimensions : 61 x 76 cm
Framing : New frame
Number of copies : 1
Delivery time : 3 days
Report this artwork
Siege of the Cathar fortress - Ecole Française 19 & egr on sale by Artableaux Galerie
To discoverview all